Sunday, January 31, 2010

Reign Over Me.....In Review


"I was stuck in Charlie world, I couldn't leave" Alan Johnson

Ah where to begin. Sometimes I really like to rent a movie where I begin to watch it, not really knowing the background. I remember the hype about this one, "its really good, its deep, not a throw daisies at you kind of movie, Don Cheadle and Adam Sandler at their best" etc. I purposely didn't read the back cover before I sat down to press play. I remember the commercials for the movie before it was released, showing Adam and Don on some sort of stand-up scooter, riding through the city....

About 20 minutes into the movie it became clear to me that Adam's character was the one that had some deep-rooted issues, I wasn't clear on what they were. Then I learned, what I always say to my friends, sometimes the person who "obviously" has the issues, isn't the only one that has them. This friendship, between Charlie (Adam) and Alan (Don) is one where both gleaned support from each other as the movie unfolds and they begin to share their lives with each other, reconnecting. Alan finds himself beginning to enjoy life again in Charlie's child-like presence.

When Charlie eventually makes it across the threshold of a therapists office, I was reminded of something else I always say; therapy won't work if you don't talk about it. Whatever "it" is, you have to open your mouth, and let it out. It brings pain quite often, I think that's why people struggle in the telling of their story.

Liv Tyler plays Angela, the therapist. After several sessions of Charlie not allowing that story to come out, she says: "you need to tell someone your story. It doesn't have to be me, but someone" I thought it was brilliant that Charlie went to the waiting room where Alan was waiting for him, sat down, and did what? Started telling his story. Of course he did.

Friends can be great therapists at times, am I right? I hope my friends know that when they share their stories with me, it helps me just as much as it helps them, for me to listen and consider the options with them. Hear me friends?

I won't tie this up with a red bow for you in case you haven't seen it. I highly recommend this movie, if you haven't seen it, please. Do.

Tomorrow is Monday, protein breakfast is a must.
Until then,
Tiffany

1 comment:

Sage Thunderbolt said...

I have never seen the movie but I am anxious now, Thanks!