Friday, March 26, 2010

Hope does float up....if you let it


Letters to a friend, that partially inspired this post.

"Hope is the thing with feathers......That perches in the soul......And sings the tune--without the words,


And never stops at all."

I can never go past that without looking up the rest, but that first part is all I ever need to remind myself, about hope and what it means. Emily Dickinson wrote it, you may already know that. I'm not a literary scholar by any means, but I always remember this one.
The thing is, I don't ever want to forget what hope means. I need it too. I think we all do, for various reasons or no particular reason at all.
From one of my favorite movies, Hope Floats:
Childhood is what you spend the rest of your life trying to overcome. That's what momma always says. She says that beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts the most. Try to remember that when you find yourself at a new beginning. Just give hope a chance to float up. And it will...

Well hope does float up if you let it. I don't know where the beginning or middle or end is, I'm not even sure I buy into that part too much. I don't want to overcome my childhood, I want to remember it and still have it be a part of my day, every day. My childhood played a huge part of who I've become.

Beginnings and endings. Not focusing too much on either one at the moment. I want to talk about the cream. The middle. The filling of the twinkie. The white part of the oreo. (Yes I eat that part first, shhhh) The sugary sweetness that we all can have, no matter the circumstance or what kind of  issues we have going on at the moment, if we so choose. Optimistic much? Hell yeah I am. Because I choose to be.
I read a story recently of a girl that lost her mom in a tragic mugging on a subway in New York City, while she watched. She was seven years old. Fast forward to when she is eighteen years old. It's noticed that when she orders from a menu in a restaurant, she orders her dessert first, then her entree. When asked why, she replies with: "I just don't see the point in waiting. I mean, what if I die while eating my entree?"
Given the "circumstance" of losing her mother, it's completely understood why she would feel this way. I immediately said to myself, but why don't we do this anyway. It doesn't have to take a tragedy to have us want the good stuff first, does it? I don't remember seeing a rule book stating that we have to eat the appetizer first, then the entree, then the dessert. I have a few friends that would rather skip the entree all together and go straight to the dessert =). I'm not a big dessert fan, I know.....this is tragic to some of you. My point is this: go for the cream first if you want to. Why not?

And the same goes for hope. Believe it first, above all else. Dream it. Think it. Envelope yourself around it.
Then let it float up.

Maybe for breakfast we should use real cream for once in our coffee. You think?
See you soon,
Tiffany

"I'm against a homogenized society because I want the cream to rise” Robert Frost

2 comments:

Serenity said...

Such a happy sigh while reading this, like you just reached in and shook all all my frustration out so the hope could rise. I'm going to have to read this one again...

Anonymous said...

I seriously go to your older posts and re-read a lot, I'm not kidding! I'm glad I shook out the frustration, now you can have a fabulous, frustration free weekend, and because of that, I will do the same =)