Thursday, June 24, 2010

My culuhs are blush and bashful


I've been really feeling the girly side of myself lately. This is the kind of thing that makes me walk into my closet and look at the clothes that are hanging there, searching for signs of something that needs to be donated or kept. I can thank Disney for placing the thought of a Cinderella life inside my head when I was younger, making me want to wear that shimmering, sparkly white ball gown while gliding across a ballroom floor with prince charming. Long white gloves that travel up my arm to my elbow, do women even wear these anymore? Diamond earrings and a beautiful up-do.
In Pretty Woman, Julia Roberts is, of course, stunning in her red velvet dress that Richard Gere sees her appear in, in the scene where he is getting ready to take her to the Opera."You're late" she says. "You're stunning" he says. "You're forgiven" she replies, smiling. But my most favorite line in that scene is when she tells him, "If I forget to tell you later, I had a really nice time tonight". Ah romance. The beginning is the best part. But I don't think it has to stop. Ever. Romance can last a lifetime.
Another favorite is when he shuts the jewelry box on her gloved hand, I believe that wasn't in the script which made it even better.
Looking through my jewelry box that my mom gave me, at all of the different bracelets and rings and earrings, necklaces....bangles.....is almost the same feeling as looking through a photo album, there's a memory or story attached to each item. I smile remembering each story. This jewelry box is no joke, it's about 4 feet tall, and it's not like there's $100,000 worth of jewelry nestled inside. The worth, for me, doesn't come with the price tag. It comes from the story behind it, the person who gave it to me, or it could be that I bought it for myself, because I celebrate me on occasion.
About a year ago I got rid of so many clothes, I ripped through that closet like a tazmanian devil one rainy Sunday. I'm now feeling like adding some new things back in, a new dress, maybe sparkly sandals with strappy heels. It's like I can smell romance in the air. Summertime isn't usually when that happens, I think Spring thaws out Winter, both literally and configuratively speaking. And with that thaw, comes warm sun, fresh flowers, and the "twitterpated" feeling that gets renewed inside my mind and heart.
Everyone knows fall is my favorite season. I love the crackle and smell of crisp fall leaves, football, fireplaces, pumpkins, Halloween just around the corner. My favorite month is October, and my favorite months as a whole are the ones ending in "R". I try to enjoy each season as it comes, which is why I will always want to live where I can have all four seasons if they even exist anymore. (damn global warming).
But after that last snowman melts.....and the Spring air hits my face, that feeling of fresh renewal comes with it and I get, as I said, twitterpated.
One of my favorite Disney movies, Bambi:
Friend Owl: "Yes. Nearly everybody gets twitterpated in the springtime. For example: You're walking along, minding your own business. You're looking neither to the left, nor to the right, when all of a sudden you run smack into a pretty face. Woo-woo! You begin to get weak in the knees. Your head's in a whirl. And then you feel light as a feather, and before you know it, you're walking on air. And then you know what? You're knocked for a loop, and you completely lose your head!"
I love Bambi =)
So yeah, my favorite outfit is probably always going to be shorts and a tank top, or yoga pants, or jeans and a t-shirt. But I think I want a new dress. And I think there should probably be some sort of pink in it. After all, "my culuhs are blush and bashful" -Steel Magnolias

See you soon,
Tiffany

A Breakfast at Tiffany's movie night it is......then tomorrow we'll have a breakfast you would find on a New York street.....bagel anyone?

2 comments:

Serenity said...

Ah, breakfast on a New York street - I want. I love, love, love your new look! LOVE. And ah, the girly. I used to scoff back in junior high when I thought I was cool and that girly was not cool and that boys would like you more if- what? - you acted like them? The Crazy. Now I love the girly and I love it all the more because I'm the only one in my house who can put it on, so I try to put it on often and with relish.

Anonymous said...

And you're so eloquent at it, The Girly. It's 90 degrees outside, our entire fam is drenched with pool water, frizzy hair, and summer glisten, and here you come with a "french" looking dessert and the look of a cover of Cosmo. I mean seriously. Geez. (lol) =)