Sunday, August 1, 2010

Heart Shaped Thoughts


Love is the best four letter word ever written. I wish I could write a love story. I don't know if I'm talented enough to bring my characters to life in an amazing, can't put the book down, kind of way. But I have dialogue coming to me in my head all of the time. I've been having heart shaped thoughts lately.

.........A man and woman are sitting in a restaurant, meeting for the first time in fifteen years. When I say meeting for the first time, I mean, they've never met in person before. They became friends the old fashioned way. Writing to each other, and talking on the phone. With geographical distance, separate lives, different careers being unfortunate obstacles, they eventually uncrossed the paths that were crossed some time ago.
Now they sit across from each other, each in wonder of this thought, "I can't believe I'm looking you in the eye. For the first time ever" They didn't plan to meet, or be in the same city at the same time. Fate placed them there. The conversation flows as easily as it did during their first one. Laughter ensues just like it did as they got to know each other, with them sharing similar senses of humor. Toward the end of the evening, when it is clearly time to go, the woman is overcome with this thought; "if I don't tell him now, after all of this time, I may never get the chance again". She brings up a favorite movie, one they discussed so many times. A line from the movie states, "he knew I loved him enough, to bear the not knowing". She explains that this quote, was how she felt when she walked away from him so long ago. She came to understand that she couldn't hold his hand while he walked down his own path. Him falling in love with someone else, inevitable.
She told him......."The thing is, I've loved you since the day I realized it"

I was thinking about all of my favorite romantic movie quotes.
Runaway Bride
"Look, I guarantee there'll be tough times. I guarantee that at some point, one or both of us is gonna want to get out of this thing. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life, because I know, in my heart, you're the only one for me"
You've Got Mail
"Yeah. I would have asked for your number, and I wouldn't have been able to wait twenty-four hours before calling you and saying, "Hey, how about... oh, how about some coffee or, you know, drinks or dinner or a movie... for as long as we both shall live?"

An Affair to Remember
"There must be something between us, even if it's only an ocean"

The Notebook
"So it's not gonna be easy. It's gonna be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, for ever, you and me, every day"

Bed of Roses
"Every now and then, um, everybody's entitled to too much perfection"

My own quotes:
"The other half of me who thinks things through with the first word being, "Us", rather than "I"

Quotes from others
".....the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life." regarding Soulmates, Elizabeth Gilbert

Song lyrics
Ryan Huston "Daydreams"
will you save me, and I'll save you....will you love me.... like I'll love you.....will you need me..... like I'll need you...
Taylor Swift "Love Story"
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess.....it's a love story, baby just say....yes"

Had enough of my heart shaped thoughts? =)

I mentally just heard you ask, "but wait. What does he say after she tells him that she has loved him all along?"
Visit for breakfast, maybe you can give me ideas on how you think it should end.....

See you soon!
Tiffany

2 comments:

Serenity said...

Ah, love stories. I used to think I wanted to write stories that had love in them but were actually about more. But I'm finding that I think love is what everything is about. When I watch movies like you've quoted here (and read books I love), I think, "There can't be any better way to tell love than this, any new way anyway." But I'm going to try anyway. :)

Anonymous said...

I reallllly want you to write a love story Seren, you're living one, who better to write one? =)