Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Will you come to my celebration party when I graduate?


“If you think education is expensive, try ignorance” Derek Bok

I'm really getting serious about taking some college courses. I've been thinking about this for a long time, a thought so easily shoved to the side when life gets busy with work, and play (very important) and the all of the things we have to do when we become adults. It's not necessarily a self confidence issue, that's blocking my view. It's more of the question, "dear GOD do I really want to write papers again?"
Well do I?

I asked myself this over and over. Then I had a conversation with my manager at work, who is taking classes right now. He said, "you understand that VZ will pay you money for this, right? Well, they'll pay a portion of the cost"

Isn't that kind of a no-brainer? I don't know that I have a goal in mind, other than to stretch my mind wider than I have in a long time, like a rubber-band. Hopefully not to the breaking point. A degree? Yes that is the obvious goal. Will I tie it into telecommunications? I think it's silly not to, that's what I've done for a long time. I love what I do, even when the possibility of RIFs (reduction in forces *shudder*) rolls around every six months. I keep rolling with them, I'm still employed. Has to be a good sign.

My life is going to change quite a bit if I do this, because I don't like to take on anything with a "halfway" attitude. If I do it, the work involved comes first. It has to, I'm paying for it. I'd love to just go to school full time, live that college life where one can actually do it in 4 years (or 2 depending upon your degree/goal) but I have a job that I won't give up. So this will take a little longer than most.

So..... this is me mulling it over. And making an appointment to see a counselor at a nearby College. And seeing the possibility of my name written down on an 8x14 piece of paper, framed in gold lettering, with my degree listed above it.

Can you see it?

When I whine about having papers to write and being brain-tired will you sympathize? Will you come to my celebration party when I graduate?

Have breakfast with me tomorrow and we'll talk about my options. You pick. (whisper, Cafe Brazil is SO good) no pressure......

See you soon,
Tiffany

8 comments:

Felicity said...

Do it. And then host a reception in my neck of the woods and I am TOTALLY there! : )

Seriously, I loved learning new things. Take literature classes - you will love them! I also enjoyed the social science classes because its like one big people watching party through history!

Seize your opportunity, friend!

(You knew this would be my advice, right?)

Anonymous said...

I absolutely did know this would be your advice Felic, and literature classes/social science classes? Sign me up. I'm starting to get really excited about this! Thank you for inspiring.....every day =)

Serenity said...

You brave girls!! I will sympathize when you have the homework stress - I'm pretty good at that. If you really want to gripe, Michael's your man. I've never been more proud of anyone finishing school than him, because he didn't actually enjoy it at all - not like Felic with her sheer joy in learning. :) And that's probably how you will be. I bat the idea around quite a bit too, but unlike you I haven't yet been able to answer yes to the question of whether or not I'm ready to write papers again. Now that I've started writing what I want, I don't want to write what someone makes me. :( I do want to read, though, and learn. So maybe I'll find the nerve one day too.

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of MB too, it's tough to stick it out when you're not enjoying it. OH this is all slightly daunting. But....I'm pretty sure I'm gonna jump in with both feet. Why not? =)

Sage Thunderbolt said...

I am very happy for you! Your first step will be to contact admissions office to set up an appointment with a counselor to discuss your interest/passion. Once you obtain a curriculum you'll soon discover your niche on how all the pieces of the puzzle will come together for you!

I will definitely be at your celebration graduation party!

Anonymous said...

Yes you WILL be there "sage" (still makes me lol)
Thanks for the support, daunting or not, I'm doing it. Watch me. =)

Sara said...

I will definitely come to your celebration party when you graduate! I just told Jeremy this morning that a year from May we will be going down for DD's graduation; yours will be the next one!! WOOT! You can do it Toots!

Anonymous said...

@Sara (no H) have I mentioned that I adore you in the last 24 hours? =)