Monday, October 14, 2013

The treasure lies in them, not the things....

When an old friend becomes very ill, I begin devoting a lot of time in my thoughts to them. Really hoping they get better, really hoping for the best. That they don't leave us too soon. I think about their family, where they've been, and where they are going, at least, before they became ill. These thoughts have lead me to memories of days gone by. Such fond memories too. Being so young, in high school, having the time of our lives if we had only noticed back then.

You know, 'stuff' doesn't really matter. The cars we drive, the amount in our bank accounts, etc. It doesn't matter that much. What matters is people. Who we have in our lives, the relationships we nurture, those we spend our time with, our given, and chosen families. The treasure, lies in them. Not the 'things'.

It makes me sad to lose touch with friends, to then devote an entire day(s) of my thoughts to them, because they're very sick, and we don't know the outcome yet. Why did we lose touch? Is what I wonder. I know how it goes. Life becomes extremely busy, we grow up, go to college, get new jobs, move away from home....and before you know it, years have passed. It's not that we don't love our friends anymore, not at all. Life just gets really busy, doesn't it?

I just think maybe it shouldn't get so busy that we can't say hello once in a while. It just takes a few minutes to ask a friend how they're doing, if they're happy in their life.

Well, these are my thoughts tonight, as I sit and remember some great times with an old friend.

This is for Beth. Rest well friend, and continue to fight the good fight. My thoughts are with you and your family.

To you, my reader friend: call a friend you've lost touch with. I bet it will make you feel better than it does them.

See you soon,
Tiffany

No comments: