Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Do I tell her she will make mistakes?

I often wonder what I would tell the younger version of myself, if time travel were possible. How far back would I go? And what would I say, to the happy little girl that still feels like her childhood was idyllic.

Do I tell her she will make mistakes? I don't want her to be afraid or not trust her gut.

I could let her know that when she was in 2nd grade and that dark-haired boy that kept yanking her pigtails, was doing so because he liked her. I won't say boys are dumb. That's not true. But at *that* age, they often don't know how to show that they are fond of you. My mom set me straight on this, so maybe I won't have to tell her.

I think I should tell her that sunscreen is important. And that she is worthy of having herself surrounded by like-minded people, that truly care about her. I want her to know that real, true love, comes easily, and often without fanfare. It just *is*. That doesn't mean that relationships don't require work. It means the *right* relationship, is worth the required work.

I should probably mention that the circle of life can be hard to witness and accept at times. And that her grandma and 'Pap' are in a better place, until she sees them again. It's also really, really hard to lose a pet. She will learn to accept her new normal, but it's still hard.

Honestly, what I want her to know most of all, is that she has no reason to be hard on herself during anything *trying* that may be going on in her life. Don't freak out. Just breathe. You know what to do. You need to trust yourself and your decisions.

And finally, you will be lucky to grow up with a big, loving extended family that tries their best to keep in touch.
You'll fiercely support every single friend and family member, no matter what.
You will show up, and ask, 'what can I do?' when it's necessary. Because they do the same for you.

When you stand at the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France, you will be moved. Enough so to write about it.
Just like seeing the turquoise water in Cancun, and the view of Hawaii from the top of Diamond Head. That you just climbed! And you thought you were afraid of heights, ppsshh.



Okay you're still afraid of heights. But you will logically talk yourself out of the fear, should you find yourself zip-lining in Jamaica. Trust me. You won't die above the jungle. Also, don't pull on the pulley. Your glove will get stuck and then you'll have to be rescued.

Be present in the moments. Even the seemingly insignificant ones. Please. They will soon become memories and I want you to be able to remember them fondly.

Oh and write in a blog. Then you can look back and read what your thoughts were, from years past.

I'm thinking of these things because I'm gifted with another year wiser on March 30th.

Thank you for being here friend(s), I'm lucky to have you!
Tiffany

P.S. Breakfast at Tiffany's continues with fresh fruit, protein, and a hand-written, carefully thought out plan, for world changing ideas. Or maybe just a short list, I never know for sure. 😁

Oh and the birthdays? Embrace, celebrate, and enjoy every last second of the celebration of you.

*picture at top, on left, me on my third birthday











No comments: