Friday, December 13, 2019

What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.....

"I've been taking pictures all my life, even before I had a camera" - Sabrina Fairchild -1995



When I think about the past, I often see the memories as images, as though I'm looking at photo's in an album.

2019 has been the year of such tremendous growth that I don't think I can measure all of it. Both physically and mentally, I've managed to become the best version of myself thus far, and that, my friends, has been my goal all along. It is still my goal. We're never done growing or learning, I firmly believe this.

Were there setbacks? You better believe it, I'm a human being, flawed, one who doesn't always choose well.
But every time I didn't, I learned. Mistakes becoming lessons, and so it goes....

When I think about the future, I often see images as though I'm looking through a crystal ball, with fuzzy edges but the middle is so vividly clear. I think there's a lot of truth to the mantra "if you visualize it, you can make it happen" or something like that. I have some goals yet to meet and changes yet to come that I'm immensely excited about. 




So, "Christmas time is here, happiness and cheer" - and I am wondering why it feels like this year has flown by so quickly. Especially the last four months of the year which are my favorite. I know it can be a difficult time for many, with the loss of loved ones, etc. I like to say just be kind all year, and I am, but especially during this season of giving and gratitude. There is the mad rushing, but also the slowing down a little, gathering for meals with friends and family while twinkly lights glow in the background and traditions that go way back are being enjoyed once again as well as new traditions being made. While all of this is occurring, there are so many that don't have people to do these things with, and it can be a sad time for them. There is zero cost in treating people with kindness, I hope we all take the time to smile and help people that are in need or alone.

With all of the changes this year, one thing that I'm glad I started is getting rid of all the things. Well, not all per se. 
So.much.stuff. we have that just takes up space in a cluttered array of entanglement. This is an ongoing work in progress, but when I say I've downsized by almost half, it's true. 

Another life changer is walking every day, in all kinds of weather mind you, that has become so engrained in my routine that I don't see myself ever giving it up. Talk about a mood enhancer, there is nothing greater than being outdoors in nature, hearing the birds chirp and seeing beautiful sunrises over water. I even did a 5K, and I'm now a fan of this activity. 

It was so fun, especially being able to do that with close friends, some of my favorite people. 

I know there are people that don't do New Years Resolutions, I'm pretty sure I'm one of them. Mostly. I would just find myself saying the same thing each year as the calendar flipped to January. "Just be better". This year, I feel more accomplished in this aspect than I ever have before. I want to make sure this trend continues, I have no doubt that it will.

It won't be easy being away from home this holiday season, my family is very important to me and my sisters and I share so many significant memories and traditions that I want to be around them on Christmas morning, as we stir my mom's mimosa recipe.....and prepare for the onslaught of ribbons and tags and bags and Christmas paper and music and laughter and...movies. We have entire conversations in movie quotes. 

"And the Grinch, with his Grinch feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags! And he puzzled and puzzled 'til his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more"

Indeed.

Merry Christmas to you friend,
Tiffany

PS Breakfast at Tiffany's with a beach view for Christmas 2020? Hmmm. 

footnote: Hallelujah is my favorite song 










No comments: