Tuesday, July 30, 2013

It's a healthy fear.....





"It's a carcaradon carcharias. It's a Great White" -Jaws

I don't have a solid reason that I am so fascinated with not only sharks, but creatures of the sea in general.

I remember watching Jaws on HBO, surrounded by sisters and cousins, at my Grandma's house. We were all so excited to see the movie that I can't think of any other time that we did not move a muscle, or make a sound, for almost two hours.

Shark Week begins this Sunday on the Discovery Channel, and I'm already searching for episodes to record in the event that I can't watch them "live".

Maybe it's because Sharks are so unreachable (and uh, I'll keep it that way thank you),  or are so out of the norm from what I can see in my daily life. You won't find me joining expeditions where one can "swim with the sharks", I'll just continue to admire them from afar, that is, through my t.v. screen or at an Aquarium at some random city by the sea. If I'm on a large enough boat, out on the ocean horizon, and I'm able to see one, I don't think I would mind that. But that's as far is it goes.

They simply fascinate me.

Wikipedia says:

Sharks are a group of fish characterized by a cartilaginous skeleton, five to seven gill slits on the sides of the head, and pectoral fins that are not fused to the head.
Scientific name: Selachimorpha
Rank: Superorder
 
Random fact-based reading produces all kinds of Shark trivia, such as; A shark can hear a fish in the water from more than a mile away. Or, there are over 350 different kinds of sharks!
 
It's amazing to think of how many sea creatures we may not even know about yet. I think shark fascination has come a long way these days. With scientists and oceanographers, marine biologists and the like, studying them, swimming with them, observing their behavior in their own habitat. 
 
So here's to Shark Week 2013! (of which I will comfortably participate from my living room). It's a healthy fear people. 
 
Until next time,
Tiffany
 
PS I watched Sharknado during Breakfast last Saturday morning. I'm not sure that I can put into words what I think of this "movie". How about no, and don't. =) 
 

No comments: