Sunday, November 4, 2018

Does any of us truly have the answer to any of life's predicaments?

I woke up this morning thinking that yesterday was a perfect day. And it wasn't that monumental things happened, it was a simple day actually.

So I asked myself, what makes a day perfect?



For me, I find that I'm happiest in the least amount of chaos. Oh sure, I can keep up and multi-task when necessary, juggling several to-do list items. But I love knowing that things on that list are complete and I have free time to do whatever I want to do. If the house is clean and the things put away, the day looms with freedom and the promise of anything great, whatever we choose.

Then I realized that this is also true with intangible things.

In the work space of my life, things aren't put away. It feels like they're all over the place. I, along with 43,999 (this is an accurate number) are being forced to make career decisions that we may or may not be ready for. I was in the latter category for about a month. A few days ago I finally accepted that ready-or-not, it was time to make choices that will affect my future. Have I reached *the* answer to the question with possible consequential results? Not necessarily. I mean does any of us truly have the answer to any of life's predicaments? Please, if you do, call me.

So, here it is. Verizon has decided that a considerable portion of their IT organization must leave the company and become employees for Info Sys, "one of the largest outsourcing contracts signed by Info Sys in recent times" -to quote one of many articles posted online.

And here I am. I've decided that I will accept the buy-out offer that Verizon has placed in front of me in package form.

I'm not ready. I like my job. I love who I work with and have worked with for years. These people are like family to me. I'm good at what I do. I'm not ready to leave. I don't want to begin another career. I am not r e a d y.

These are the thoughts that have kept me awake at night for over a month. A few nights ago, I woke up so refreshed that I questioned why, ( don't do that, accept the gift ) and found that it was because I let all of those thoughts go. I opened my clenched fists, palms up, and released them. I had full faith. I had full trust. I had peace and contentment that I haven't felt for quite some time. Not because I have another job lined up. Not because I'm sitting on a nest egg of carefully saved money. And not because I was the recent lottery winner. None of these things are true.

I think it's because I realized that the outcome I'm trying to avoid is going to happen sooner or later anyway, heavy on the sooner, so why not take their offer and take my skills to a company that I will be proud to work for. And let me  be clear, I was proud to work for Verizon. I just don't recognize the company like I used to. I am not in-the-know of their vision or future direction. Or in the very least, I'm not understanding what I do hear, and read about. I will never say a bad word about the company that gave me a career and helped me build a skill set that I can use wherever I choose to go. The company that fed and clothed me, provided a means for travel to other countries and paid my bills. 
I mean, what does one say, to the company they've spent close to twenty-five years with? 




I was in Paris, France in September past, walking the River Seine, over-hearing "Bonjour" and "merci" and drinking in the perfect day. I also heard, "Au revoir".

So, Verizon. Au revoir. Adieu. 

And good luck to you and all of us that decide the new journey will be even better, than the one before. 



See you soon friend,
Tiffany

PS Breakfast at Tiffany's is tacos! and more tacos! isn't *that* exciting?! Of course I will keep you posted on the comings and goings of my career life. For now, suffice to say that it's business as usual. I don't know when the actual last day will be, of my time with Verizon. And finally, GO CHIEFS! Mahomes and Co, you're my heroes! 

Third photo courtesy of my sister, Sara. That lucky girl gets to see this spectacular array of color every North Missouri Fall day. 





2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think some days in Spain might do you good....keep it in mind...love ya, R&R

Anonymous said...

I am SO *in* on this line of thinking!
Love ya's back =)