Monday, October 21, 2019

Those friends, are the one's we treasure for a lifetime...

When I come home after spending time in my hometown with family and friends, I'm always in a reflective mood for a few days. Usually asking myself the big questions, like, should I move back? It's hard being away from those I love.

I was reminded this trip that I am so lucky to have such phenomenal life-long friends. No matter how much time has passed, one hug or hello becomes the exact thing my soul needed, that comfortable feeling when you know you're with people that genuinely care about you and your well being.

Heading to Arrowhead Stadium for a Kansas City Chiefs game in October? There isn't much that can top that for me. But the most important thing I brought home with me from this trip, is, that the best part of anything we do and experience, are the people that are with us. My sister and brother in law make everything fun so we managed to do just that despite the loss that day. We aren't fair-weather fans in my family, we're ride-or-die fans, so onward we roll with the Chiefs, always.


I was so excited to arrive at a favorite friend(s) house in KC, when I saw the Halloween decorations I knew I was at the correct address, because she loves Halloween just like I do. And those girls! Six little loves to see and visit with for a night, my adoration continues for them.

Teena, you don't know how inspiring you are, even your little reminders throughout the house made me smile, I loved them, and you. Thank you for letting me stay, it was so fun being with all of you.



I honestly don't know why certain memories never leave and yet I often can't remember what I did yesterday, that's the way it goes isn't it?
I can remember sitting in my 6th grade class and trying to stifle a belly laugh because my friends would always make me laugh at the most inopportune moments, i.e. when the teacher was talking. That's one memory of hundreds that have a best life-friend in them, and as I drove towards CoMo (Columbia, MO) those memories were on my mind. I thought, "we go so far back, the amount of time is so vast that it almost can't be measured".
Those friends, are the one's we treasure for a lifetime.

Tatha (and John) thank you for letting me stay with you and catch up like we haven't ever been able to do in years. It felt like home, being there with you and I so loved meeting Tat and seeing Tanya! (and Tasia!) I love you all and can't wait to spend time again.

I'm convinced that the passing of time matters not, when it comes to a face to face conversation with old friends.

More than likely, the same type of 6th grade shenanigans often occur when you work with a group of people who share your sense of humor. You may notice a theme forming here, this is yet another best life-friend that continues to make me laugh every time I am lucky enough to be able to spend time with her and her family. Chandra, (and Todd) thank you for letting me stay during this trip, I was so happy to catch up and see Breanna (and family) too! I love you all.



I thought about friendships a lot on the drive home, and how they should be nurtured and cherished. I was grateful to be able to see a few favorite friends and will make a point to see more on the next trip if possible. Verl, always the place of comfort for me, you are such a treasure. All of the listening that you do, that patient, loving demeanor you have, are the things that you're loved for, and I do. Ed- visiting with you was greatness, I was reminded that your keen sense of what's important in life is still there, thank you for the great conversation. Mary A-you're such a JOY to be around, I am so glad I got a chance to say hello and talk for a while, your energy radiates in a way that makes you glow!

With social media in our faces now, it seems that the picture we often paint is usually the best side of ourselves, which makes sense as why would we want to show the worst side, right? I understand, and agree with the idea. Social media isn't the place to air the difficult stuff or the private things in life (in my opinion and it's okay to disagree). I have friends that struggle with the beasts, as I label them, but I've learned a few things along the way just by listening.

I think that anyone that has to fight anxiety or depression is often the most compassionate person we might meet. They know to ask, "are you okay?" and mean it, they genuinely want to know if we're okay. I don't suffer with either beast, but I know those that do and I am sorry they have to fight battles that not everyone knows about. I am grateful for anyone that asks me every single day, if I'm okay. So thank you friend.

So, the biggest thank you I can muster, the friends old and new, the too-short visits with family, the Fall and Halloween decorations, the sea of Red at Arrowhead, and the air turning cooler is all around me right now as I started the week back at work. I'm glad for the memories, I cherish them.

The one thing that I saved for this rambling thank-you note, is this: I think laughter is the best medicine. I was born with a sense of humor and most of the time, I find humor in everything. The morning of the Chiefs game, we went to Arrowhead early so we could drink it all in, (yes even the beer) but stay with me, haha. While standing in front of the stadium, we could hear the band coming our way. If you know me, you know I can't stand still for this, I have to at least groove a little bit to the music. What I didn't realize, and my sister who was taking a few pictures, did, was, the band saw me dancing and turned toward my direction. It took me a minute to realize it, but by then I was practically surrounded, I will never forget this one Chiefs Kingdom. Thank you for those big smiles, so infectious!
See you soon friend,
Tiffany

PS Breakfast at Tiffany's has been fruit and eggs all kinds of ways lately. What's your favorite breakfast? oh and MIZZOU, see you in October 2020!


No comments: